The origins of the Order
The International Knightly Order Valiant of St George takes its inspiration from an ancient and military order of knighthood, founded on 23 April 1326 in Visegrad, Hungary, by King Károly Róbert, great-grandson of Charles of Anjou.
It is a lay order dedicated to the name of the Blessed Trinity under the particular patronage of St George (patron of chivalry).
The original foundation documents are preserved in the Hungarian National Archives in Budapest. It is the most ancient of those Chivalric Orders which were created as “Royal” institutions, independent of the church, and is a religious confraternity of Knights and Dames who are committed to a life of humility, loyalty and service for the common good. Over the centuries, governance of the Order has been in the hands of Kings of Hungary, Holy Roman Emperors, Cardinals and a Pope.
In Hungary, the twentieth century foundation the Order of Vitéz was based upon the Order of St. George, but the Knightly Order Valiant of St George re-emerged in its own right after the fall of communism in 1989.
The Ceremony in St Stephen’s Basilica, Budapest, to install the Grand Master – the senior judge of Hungary – was attended by the President’s representative, the Cardinal Primate and the senior Protestant bishop, as well as numerous politicians. As an annual event it has become part of the state ceremonial tradition involving senior members of the Government, the military and religious hierarchies, and from all walks of life.
In the twentieth century the international Order was registered as a charity under English law. The Order is also a 501(c)3 non-profit organization in the United States. In 2015 the Order also became an officially recognized Non-Governmental Organization (NGO).
|The ancient crown of St. Stephen.|
|The Order's UN NGO status|
The Order is a UN-recognized NGO with special consultative starus.
|Our past Grand Master|
Remembering Major General vitez Janos Karaszy-Kulin, GCStG.